Low-Risk, Reliable, E-commerce Fulfillment from China
Consistent, reliable fulfillment is one of the cornerstones of any e-commerce business, but using traditional bulk ordering can cause fulfillment problems. E-commerce supply chains that rely on large volume, sea freight shipping are vulnerable to supply chain disruptions and lack the ability to quickly respond to consumer demand, making overstocking or selling out common.
That's why Kanary recommends direct-to-customer (DTC) China fulfillment to many of our e-commerce clients. We partner with EcommOps to provide the best DTC China fulfillment to our customers, and we all work together to create a flexible and resilient supply chain.
How Does Traditional Fulfillment Work?
In a traditional supply chain, this is how e-commerce fulfillment looks:
- A business places a large volume order (usually several months of inventory) with a China factory.
- Products are then shipped (usually via sea freight) to a receiving port.
- The order then needs to clear customs and be reloaded with domestic freight partners.
- The order is delivered to a local warehouse, where products are added to inventory.
- Orders are then prepared to be shipped directly to customers.
For an e-commerce business, this can cause several issues, like:
- An inability to respond quickly to changing demand (since lead times from China. factories are exceptionally long), which is a particular issue during traditional busy seasons (like Q4) or when there are unusual supply chain disruptions (like during the COVID-19 pandemic).
- Exceptionally long shipping times to international customers which may prevent brands from breaking into new, untapped markets.
How Does DTC China Fulfillment Work?
When you use DTC China fulfillment, the process is much more efficient:
- Orders are placed with a China factory, but instead of months of inventory, it's weeks of inventory.
- Inventory is shipped from the China factory to EcommOps fulfillment center, located in Shenzhen, China.
- Customer orders are shipped directly from the Shenzhen fulfillment center, with shipping times usually sitting at 5-8 days.
The Benefits of DTC China Fulfillment
There are excellent benefits for e-commerce businesses that use both China factories and China fulfillment centers:
Since businesses only need a few weeks of inventory instead of months worth, less capital is tied up with unsold inventory.
Should you experience a spike in demand, it's easy to get more products from your suppliers. There's only a few days of lead time from the factory to the fulfillment center, instead of weeks or months. It's not uncommon for lead times to be 24 hours or less.
Since freight shipping, clearing customs, and shipping to a local fulfillment center are removed from DTC China fulfillment, shipping times to international customers are slashed. The cost of shipping is also greatly reduced (sometimes 50% or more), allowing brands to enter new markets that traditional fulfillment from a local warehouse wouldn't allow.